Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Shell Houston Open (yeah, golf)

Golf.
Golf -4
Right now, you're probably thinking one of a few different thoughts - grass growing, paint drying, or "wow, how about that Masters tournament today!" If you thought one of the first two (and you're still reading), you might as well stop now and go read something else. If you thought "wow, how about that Masters tournament today" then read on.

The Shell Houston Open happens every spring and it's currently just before the Masters Tournament. It's one of the PGA Tour's oldest tournaments, and has a long history.
Golf -5

For fans of the game, it's a fun time and a chance to see some of the top tour players up close. Being a cheapskate, I don't drop the big bucks for tournament tickets. Instead, I've gone on Tuesday when admission is free, there aren't any crowds, and you can get up close (great for photography, as well).

Things I saw...

Well, obviously I saw world class golf. If you've never seen professional golfers, you're in for a surprise, if not shock. I'll hack it around occasionally, but the game you and I may play is nothing like what these guys play. The sound is probably the biggest difference. The course is just a tad better than the Caddyshack courses I usually play (remember, I'm cheap). Being very close to the action, and with it being a practice day, you can see the players in a much more relaxed manner. You'll be glad to know that Caddyshack jokes are as popular among the players as among your regular foursome.

Things I missed...

Well, I missed the competition, of course. If you want to see that, buy a ticket. Just call me Captain Obvious. I also missed huge crowds, $7 sandwiches, and $10 beers. Granted, competitive golf can be compelling (assuming you like golf in the first place). You could also see the Pro/Am on Wednesday, but if I'm going to pay, I'll pay to see competition. For my money, literally, I'll take the free Tuesday.

Oh yeah, and you missed it this year, but you can start planning for next year.

Golf -2

For more info...

The Shell Houston Open will be held March 26 - April 1, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment