Thursday, April 7, 2011

Galveston County Fair and Rodeo

The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo is one of the largest events in the country, running for 3 weeks in late winter/early spring. It's a blast, and I recommend it to everyone. However, for some good ol' down home fun, and up close rodeo action, head to the Galveston County Fair and Rodeo.
fortsonfoto-210
Things I saw...

The fair rides and food are pretty typical for fairs everywhere, from traveling shows in a small town parking lot to annual events like this. Meaning fried sugary stomach bombs, followed by rides where the main excitement comes from wondering if the ride is actually safe. :)

fortsonfoto-209
What makes this fair stand apart is the rodeo. I've been twice and I've seen rodeo queens, bull riding, steer wrestling, bronco riding, calf roping, and even a little mutton busting (where the 5-7 year olds try to ride a sheep). I was also free to wander around the arena and back with the live stock. It's well organized, yet still a "small town" event, which makes it fun.
fortsonfoto-208
Things I missed...

There are a wide variety of rodeo events through out the year, ranging from mutton busting to professional bull riding. I've missed most of them, but they're on my to-do list. Check the schedule if you're interested. The fair and rodeo is currently going on through next weekend, so drive down and check it out.

For more information...


No comments:

Post a Comment